Action for Blind People has developed the Living with Sight Loss (LWSL) course for people newly diagnosed with, or anyone coming to terms with, sight loss.
The course aims to provide practical knowledge, information and support whilst empowering visually impaired people to gain confidence and independence.
The courses provide an opportunity to explore a range of different subjects from volunteering, and peer support to emotional support, wellbeing and nutrition. They also provide an opportunity to meet professionals from a range of services such as guide dogs, RNIB, social services and the NHS to discuss topics like mobility and daily living, eye health and low vision.
From our base here in Exeter we run courses throughout Devon and Cornwall linking up with local service providers like Devon in Sight and Cornwall Blind Association to bring you information and advice tailored to your local area.
We have had great feedback from the courses so far here are a few quotes from previous participants –
- “I’ve got a lot from the course it’s been really informative but the best thing is that I don’t feel alone anymore.”
- “I’m lucky to be sighted myself but I think for me and [my partner] it’s been great to meet all these people having similar experiences. We finally feel like we can rebuild our social life and not feel so isolated anymore.”
- “Informative and inspirational.”
- “I have spent a long time feeling like I had to somehow make adjustments so that I fit in with the world around me, this course has made me realise it’s OK to embrace my disability not hide it.”
- “I hadn’t realised I was losing my independence and becoming isolated. Hopefully now thanks to the information from the course and the people I have met here I can make sure that that doesn’t happen.”
- “I’m learning to cope better.”
- “It makes a big difference from reading through information in a leaflet to hearing it from people who have been through it.”
Living with Sight Loss courses are now running nationwide please contact the Exeter Office for information on Devon and Cornwall based courses.
Places on courses are free but must be booked as they fill up quickly. if you would like to attend future courses please contact us for more information as we have many more planned for next year.
For further information contact Action for Blind People:
Tel: 01392 458060