The West Devon Community Support Service covers the towns of Okehampton, Tavistock and the surrounding districts.”
The Sight Loss MOT
Rebecca will carry our ‘Sight Loss MOT’ which will help you identify what additional support might be helpful particularly if you have been newly diagnosed with sight loss, or if your condition or support needs have changed.
Having completed the ‘Sight Loss MOT’ we will work together to devise a help plan which will help you improve your independence and wellbeing.
Sight Loss Adviser
We offer a range of equipment and training to help you adjust to your sight Loss.
Our Sight Loss Adviser Nanette will be able to help you with a Lighting and Magnification Assessment, provide ‘Skills for Seeing’ Training and demonstrate a selection of equipment.
This service is provided by appointment only.
Sight Loss Hubs in West Devon
We hold regular events at our local hubs in Okehampton, Tavistock and Holsworthy. We offer the following services at these meetings:
- A drop in facility offering information and support for anyone living with sight loss, their families or carers.
- An opportunity to meet our Community Support worker to arrange a home visit for a detailed assessment of the support services that may be helpful.
- A ‘Talk and Support’ group where people can meet others living with sight loss.
- Opportunities to meet other groups and partner organisations who hold occasional advice and information sessions at our hubs.
- One to one appointments with our Sight Loss Adviser for lighting and magnifier assessments and training in skills for seeing.
Okehampton – Organised in association with The Macular Society
The Ockment Centre, North St, Okehampton EX20 1AR
Every month on the second Friday of the month from 10.00 to 12.30,
2018 dates – February 9th, March 9th, April 13th, May 11th, June 8th, July 13th, August 10th, September 14th, October 12th, November 9th, December 14th.
Sight loss adviser appointments in Okehampton:
The Ockment Centre, North St, Okehampton EX20 1AR.
On the fourth Wednesday of every month,
Available by appointment only. Please note that the adviser will only be present if there is a confirmed appointment.
2018 dates – February 28th , March 28th, April 25th, May 23rd, June 27th, July 25th, August 22nd, September 26th, October 24th, November 28th.
The Anchorage Centre, Chapel Street, Tavistock, PL18 8AG.
Every month on the third Thursday of the month from 10.00 to 12.30.
2018 dates – February 15th, March 15th, April 19th, May 17th, June 21st, July 19th, August 16th, September 20th, October 18th, November 15th, December 20th.