The UK Vision Strategy is a cross-sector initiative, uniting all those in the UK who want to take action on issues relating to vision. The strategy is a VISION 2020 (UK) Ltd initiative led by Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB).
The UK Vision Strategy seeks a major transformation in the UK’s eye health, eye care and sight loss services. The Strategy was developed by a wide-ranging alliance of statutory health and social care bodies, voluntary sector organisations, eye health professionals and service users.
This powerful combination gives the Strategy a credibility that cannot be ignored. The Strategy outcomes and priority actions have been defined by the combined voices of all these groups, and the many individuals who have contributed. A determined and united cross- sector approach will make that change a reality.
The National UK Vision Strategy sets out a number of strategy outcomes…
- Everyone in the UK looks after their eyes and their sight.
- Everyone with an eye condition receives timely treatment and, if permanent sight loss occurs, early and appropriate services and support are available and accessible to all.
- A society in which people with sight loss can fully participate.
At Devon in Sight we acknowledge our role in delivering parts of the UK Vision Strategy. The role of Devon in Sight as a local charity is to provide a range of practical help and advice to people affected by sight loss, with the aim of promoting independence, wellbeing and choice.
We achieve this by providing services including:
- Information and advice;
- Resource Centres where staff demonstrate and supply equipment to help people live independently;
- Small grants to visually impaired people in financial need, hardship or distress;
- Volunteer Visiting Service to visually impaired people in Mid-Devon and Torbay to improve people’s quality of life;
- Up to date news and information to our members through our quarterly newsletter and website;
- Raising awareness of preventable sight loss and of the support available across the county;
- We work with other voluntary and statutory organisations in Devon to develop effective strategies to improve the lives of people with sight loss.
Link to the UK Vision Strategy